Anti-maskers running through a Target making a scene

lizkat

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
Catskill Mountains
That’s Flori-duh.

The south: Floriduh, Alabackwards, Missisloppy, and Lousyanna.
Trying to figure out if we were better off without social media and if so, how to succeed at selling in the idea of ditching those platforms for mischief before we variously entertain or scare ourselves to death.

Alternatively, how to persuade enough voting-blue folks to move to the deep South out of love for some good food, good company and... a desire to flip southern politics into the purple zone at a faster pace.

Reactions: Alli

Chew Toy McCoy

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
Alternatively, how to persuade enough voting-blue folks to move to the deep South out of love for some good food, good company and... a desire to flip southern politics into the purple zone at a faster pace.
I think the problem in the south is where is the money and job opportunities? Young people tend to be blue and they tend to go where there's money and job opportunities. I'm not saying the south is one big unemployment line but as somebody who lives in the Silicon Valley I don't see any advertisements to attract young motivated people to move there, with the possible exception of Atlanta. Usually the only thing we hear about the south here isn't positive.

Its as if there is a conspiracy to keep the south as unappealing sounding to the left as possible. It's like mental gerrymandering.

Renzatic

Site Champ
Aug 14, 2020
Its as if there is a conspiracy to keep the south as unappealing sounding to the left as possible. It's like mental gerrymandering.
It's about like any other place. If you live in the cities, you've got your mind and service jobs, like IT professionals, insurance sales, data analysis, nursing, and whatnot. If you live in the country, you either work on a farm, chicken slaughterhouse, or in one of the carpet factories.

Chew Toy McCoy

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
It's about like any other place. If you live in the cities, you've got your mind and service jobs, like IT professionals, insurance sales, data analysis, nursing, and whatnot. If you live in the country, you either work on a farm, chicken slaughterhouse, or in one of the carpet factories.
I know there are jobs but I don't hear anything like "the center of tech, finance, entertainment, etc." that usually cause mass migrations of lefties to an area.

Reactions: lizkat

lizkat

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
Catskill Mountains
I think the problem in the south is where is the money and job opportunities? Young people tend to be blue and they tend to go where there's money and job opportunities. I'm not saying the south is one big unemployment line but as somebody who lives in the Silicon Valley I don't see any advertisements to attract young motivated people to move there, with the possible exception of Atlanta. Usually the only thing we hear about the south here isn't positive.

Yep, and actually there are tech hubs in the south, often focused around universities... it's just that the media and expanding companies tend not to focus on them often enough... plus new jobs are still as hard to come by these days in those areas as anywhere else. But we do need more pitches to develop better jobs in other than already built-up areas.

Younger workers may talk about how they don't want to be in the boondocks but really there's nothing young parents like better than to find affordable housing 20, 30 miles out from a medium sized city that's also less than 90 minutes from a larger city with more entertainment and cultural opportunities.

All our pols need to think much more outside the box than they do now, with all these godblasted tax-break incentives for behemoths to open up another HQ in some metropolis that already suffers from overcrowded public transit, unaffordable rents and overall jacked-up costs of living.

Reactions: thekev and Renzatic

Chew Toy McCoy

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
Yep, and actually there are tech hubs in the south, often focused around universities... it's just that the media and expanding companies tend not to focus on them often enough... plus new jobs are still as hard to come by these days in those areas as anywhere else. But we do need more pitches to develop better jobs in other than already built-up areas.

Younger workers may talk about how they don't want to be in the boondocks but really there's nothing young parents like better than to find affordable housing 20, 30 miles out from a medium sized city that's also less than 90 minutes from a larger city with more entertainment and cultural opportunities.

All our pols need to think much more outside the box than they do now, with all these godblasted tax-break incentives for behemoths to open up another HQ in some metropolis that already suffers from overcrowded public transit, unaffordable rents and overall jacked-up costs of living.
I was only half joking about a conspiracy. I do think there is a concerted effort by the old guard with their century's old ways of keeping power and wealth who don't want a big population of liberals running around with their new ideas breaking up their stranglehold. They may not be big city rich or powerful but they don't have to be because it's all relative. It's probably even fair to say they couldn't cut it in a big liberal city with a more educated population.