Changing Hosts

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
We have been using Godaddy shared hosting and it causes this site to hang and timeout several times a day. So we'll be moving to a new provider with a better setup, I'll also be adding a notification but if you see us offline for a little while you'll know why. I'll follow up on this post when it's done.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
We are now on the new host, this should resolve a lot of issues for his. Godaddy shared hosting is just not usable on a site like this.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Chew Toy McCoy

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
You bastard. You ruined my Friday. While this site was down I had no choice other than to visit MR. I read multiple posts by Apple OC. So there's a good chance you didn't just ruin my Friday, but my entire weekend. Apple OC is no joke. Listen to the experts and avoid all contact.

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
You bastard. You ruined my Friday. While this site was down I had no choice other than to visit MR. I read multiple posts by Apple OC. So there's a good chance you didn't just ruin my Friday, but my entire weekend. Apple OC is no joke. Listen to the experts and avoid all contact.
Sorry we put you through that, I know how you like your mornings here 😁 . But there will be no more timeouts or slow response times going forward.

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
It is a little quicker to load now.

This means I can watch Chew's bug videos that much quicker! :D
I didn't mind the slightly slower page loads with Godaddy but it was the timeouts that would happen several times a day, lasting anywhere from a minute or two to an hour or more were the biggest issue. Their support was also terrible, they could never tell me what the cause was but it's surely because they stuff thousands of these sites on to single servers.

I could've upgraded (a third time) with them but this time decided to go with dedicated(ish) hosting and a different company entirely. Let's see how it goes with them but so far I'm really impressed.

Last edited:

DT

Site Champ
Aug 18, 2020
GoDaddy is awful, especially the shared services. The dedicated options don't price-to-performance scale well either, if I'm doing an MS stack on I'm on Azure, non-MS open source type solution (Python, Rails, Go, w/ PG, etc.), I'm on Heroku.

Reactions: ericgtr12

Renzatic

Site Champ
Aug 14, 2020
What DT said. I know very little about website hosting, yet I've still heard of GoDaddy's reputation.

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
GoDaddy is awful, especially the shared services. The dedicated options don't price-to-performance scale well either, if I'm doing an MS stack on I'm on Azure, non-MS open source type solution (Python, Rails, Go, w/ PG, etc.), I'm on Heroku.
A fellow Azure enthusiast. Same here, at least for my profession on the server side of things, building out SharePoint farms, SQL, SaaS stuff and supporting Office 365 for several clients. But for message boards I've always stuck with Linux platforms and cPanel.

DT

Site Champ
Aug 18, 2020
Yeah, I've mostly moved to non-VM, as in, not an exposed OS, but PAAS, or Docker containers, I've used Heroku for years, the underlying machine is *NIX, but everything is abstracted, so no need to touch the OS directly, now doing the same for MS with webapps, containers - two of my primary products/clients up in DC have their own infrastructures, so they just deploy what I provide, but many of the Feds are moving to private Azure solutions which will be cool.

I'm currently working on a complete rewrite of an existing product (that I originally wrote several years ago ...), the backend is moving to .NET MVC/API, with a web frontend, but it also has an iOS client consumer, I run all that right on the same little Mac Mini (native and a Win VM).

I mean, look at the shit I'm running right now, and I've got about 40 tabs open in that Chrome instance and __3__ instances of VS2017 open (two double red "hashmark" apps are running Windows)

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 6.13.27 PM.png

Reactions: ericgtr12

Thomas Veil

Staff member
Aug 13, 2020
...Their support was also terrible, they could never tell me what the cause was but it's surely because they stuff thousands of these sites on to single servers.
That's what happens when you let Danica Patrick do your tech support.

• Haha
Reactions: Alli