Creepy crawly pets

Yoused

Power User
Reaction score
Well, I guess it kind of looks like an assassin bug, but, damn, look how big that thing is,
EE4C0B02-F4EC-4AC7-A9BE-2649A122DFFD.jpeg

Each one of those long leaflets is about a quarter inch, so that thing is like 3" in body length.

Alli

Staff member
Reaction score
This here is not a creepy crawly, in the sense that it is not anxiety-inducing. It spends most of its day drunk on champagne-and-orange-juice cocktails.

It is the bug that, I think, lives exclusively on the mimosa tree.

And now it all makes sense. I didn’t notice it was a mimosa tree, so I wondered why you were feeding it champagne and orange juice....

Gutwrench

Power User
Reaction score
I found this cute little guy sitting on the cover to the Egg. He has a super long red split tongue (not a tongue but feeler/antenna thing) that slips out of his mouth occasionally.

0EFAB250-94B4-4AD9-9522-99242035DF71.jpeg
78FDAB75-AFEA-406A-8DDA-FBF4E60CC122.jpeg

Alli

Staff member
Reaction score
I went out this morning to feed the jays and almost ran into a web. I reached out to see if I could move one of the anchors, and the inhabitant was down in a heartbeat. Dunno what kind of spider he is. I went back in to grab my phone to get a photo, but the angle was bad. When I ducked down to get to the other side it spooked him and he went back up to the web. I tugged on the strand again, but he didn’t reappear.

The strand was extremely strong and not at all sticky. I was impressed. But I didn’t want to wind up wearing it at some point during the day, so I again tried to move the anchor. Since it was so strong and not sticky, it came right off the porch and sprung up into the main web, causing it to collapse.

Gutwrench

Power User
Reaction score
I went out this morning to feed the jays and almost ran into a web. I reached out to see if I could move one of the anchors, and the inhabitant was down in a heartbeat. Dunno what kind of spider he is. I went back in to grab my phone to get a photo, but the angle was bad. When I ducked down to get to the other side it spooked him and he went back up to the web. I tugged on the strand again, but he didn’t reappear.

The strand was extremely strong and not at all sticky. I was impressed. But I didn’t want to wind up wearing it at some point during the day, so I again tried to move the anchor. Since it was so strong and not sticky, it came right off the porch and sprung up into the main web, causing it to collapse.

I can not stand spiders. I hate them. I am using the word HATE here.

Here’s a war story....I was out of the academy by a week or two teamed up with a veteran training officer and we were sent to a glass breakage alarm with motion detected inside. Since I was in training I was primary leading the search of the building’s perimeter.

Three of us were somewhere on the side of the building climbing through bushes and brambles and debris when I came to an old service door on a little porch like thing. So I stepped up on the landing from the side using my best cover and concealment moves when suddenly I felt dizzy and my vision was blurred and distorted.

I paused a moment to collect myself then realized my blurry vision was due to a GIGANTIC spiderweb just inches from my face...my eyes finally focused on it. To make matters worse there was a GIGANTIC spider perched in the center right in front of my eyes!! [With each passing year that spider just gets bigger and bigger in my memory but I swear it was the size of my fist.]

Totally unaware of the danger I was dealing with the other guys routinely wrapped around porch to cover me. That‘s when my instincts kicked in.

I let out a girly scream (no misogyny intended) and punched - kinda jousted - the center of the web with the muzzle of my gun. Of course the web collapsed around my hand so now I’m flailing my gun hand around in the air while making little choking and snorting sounds

My buddies had no idea what was happening but dove for cover as I violently shook my arm fearing that eight legged bastard was on my shirt sleeve.

Anyway, I’ll end this as randomly as I started. The spider was MIA and the alarm turned out to be false. The guys helping me clear the perimeter were watching me over their shoulders as they left. My trainer laughed it off and never wrote anything derogatory in my daily activity report.

The End

Alli

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway, I’ll end this as randomly as I started. The spider was MIA and the alarm turned out to be false. The guys helping me clear the perimeter were watching me over their shoulders as they left. My trainer laughed it off and never wrote anything derogatory in my daily activity report.
I can see so many ways that could have gone wrong. You were lucky. Your team was lucky. Hell, even the spider was lucky!

Chew Toy McCoy

Site Champ
Reaction score
IMG_2775.jpeg

The take away from this picture should be I'm good on my steps and stand ups per day but am seriously lacking on exercise.

Top Bottom