Facebook shuts down thousands of QAnon pages

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
Since Trump basically gave them his endorsement social media is cracking down. This group is not just a Republican faction, they're an actual terrorist organization and because they like Trump, he refuses to stand up to them so they now have a place on the world stage, just like he did with white supremacists.

From CNN:
Washington (CNN Business)Facebook (FB) on Wednesday cracked down on thousands of accounts across Facebook and Instagram promoting the QAnon conspiracy theory, as well as a range of militia and anarchist groups, amid what the company said was a rise in behavior among those accounts and groups celebrating violence. Hundreds of groups, pages and advertisements were removed from Facebook as part of the effort, the company said.

As many as 10,000 Instagram accounts and hundreds of groups and pages on Facebook tied to QAnon received additional restrictions, Facebook said.

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020

Renzatic

Site Champ
Aug 14, 2020
The book, which says it was written by a dozen “anonymous Q followers, decoders and citizen journalists known collectively as Where We Go One We Go All (WWG1WGA),” claims that Democrats murder and eat children...
Pfft.

...and that the government created AIDS, polio and Lyme disease.
Pshaw.

Then there’s the belief that the world is run by a Satanic cabal led by Hillary Clinton.
...well, maybe.

jkcerda

Banned
Aug 14, 2020

lizkat

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
Catskill Mountains
A lot of us just don't have enough to do, ya think? We need to figure out what to do with ourselves now that hardly anyone's down on the farm doing chores from dawn 'til dusk, hoping to scrounge up a decent supper before crashing into bed and a dreamless sleep before rising to do it all over again. Way too much time now left for mischief and malice...

Huntn

Power User
Aug 11, 2020
Kudos to Facebook. When free speech allows blatant lies in social media, where do you go from there? Down the toilet that’s where. 😣🇺🇲😷

Reactions: Alli and lizkat

Renzatic

Site Champ
Aug 14, 2020
Kudos to Facebook. When free speech allows blatant lies in social media, where do you go from there? Down the toilet that’s where. 😣🇺🇲😷
It's not a free speech issue because social media isn't run by the government. It's as simple as that.

You're free to say what you want to say without fear of the Powers That Be punishing you, but at no point is anyone obligated to provide you a soapbox to shout from. If Facebook doesn't like what you're saying, then hey, it's their service. They own the software that runs their platform, host the servers that keep it running, and pay for the bandwidth they use. They can define the rules as they see fit.

If you want a true free speech platform where anyone can say anything they want, barring outright slander and death threats, then petition the government to host one themselves, and pay for it with your tax dollars. It'll be a cesspit of stupidity, but it'll be free.

They took their sweet time reaching for the flush handle.
Yeah, well, I'm sure they had to determine whether such a move would cost them any money before they'd commit to it.

At the end of the day, when these social media platforms censor someone, it's not about ideology, it's about whether something will scare their advertisers or not.

Reactions: Alli and lizkat

yaxomoxay

Site Champ
Aug 13, 2020
Since Trump basically gave them his endorsement social media is cracking down. This group is not just a Republican faction, they're an actual terrorist organization and because they like Trump, he refuses to stand up to them so they now have a place on the world stage, just like he did with white supremacists.

From CNN:
Looks like FB also cut many Antifa pages. It's becoming more and more difficult for social media companies to not be considered editors...

Why are you saying that they are a terrorist organization? Serious question. I know about some of their crazy theories (I mean, baked children rolled in bacon is a hearty meal), but I haven't seen any true call for violence, or any true organized violence at this point.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

yaxomoxay

Site Champ
Aug 13, 2020
At the end of the day, when these social media platforms censor someone, it's not about ideology, it's about whether something will scare their advertisers or not.
I wish we could censor social media companies. They ruined the world, and I don't think it's hyperbole.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Renzatic

Site Champ
Aug 14, 2020
I wish we could censor social media companies. They ruined the world, and I don't think it's hyperbole.
I dunno if I'd say they ruined the world exactly, but they sure as hell haven't been a positive influence on society at large.

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
Looks like FB also cut many Antifa pages. It's becoming more and more difficult for social media companies to not be considered editors...

Why are you saying that they are a terrorist organization? Serious question. I know about some of their crazy theories (I mean, baked children rolled in bacon is a hearty meal), but I haven't seen any true call for violence, or any true organized violence at this point.
But this is about QAnon, not Antifa although I get the need for what about-isms, I guess. (got stick it to the Libs in an unrelated topic)

The FBI has labeled them as domestic terrorists

A previously unpublished FBI bulletin from May 30 says that for the first time the agency is labelling “conspiracy theory-driven domestic extremists” as a growing threat. The report points to fringe conspiracy theories as being potentially harmful and having the potential to expand in the 2020 election cycle. “The FBI assesses these conspiracy theories very likely will emerge, spread, and evolve in the modern information marketplace, occasionally driving both groups and individual extremists to carry out criminal or violent acts,” the document says. In the report, the FBI specifically cites multiple cases of conspiracy-driven violence, including a California man found in possession of a bomb who referenced Pizzagate and the New World Order, as well as the Pittsburgh shooter who killed 11 people at the Tree of Life Synagogue and had posted anti-Semitic content on social media.

Chew Toy McCoy

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
Great first step. Now I hope Facebook shutting down Facebook is the second. If you can’t live without Facebook kill yourself. (In before the shipment of mod hammers arrives!)

• Haha
Reactions: Edd70 and Alli

Renzatic

Site Champ
Aug 14, 2020
But this is about QAnon, not Antifa although I get the need for what about-isms, I guess. (got stick it to the Libs in an unrelated topic)

The FBI has labeled them as domestic terrorists
In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to deal with either one of them.

Though in a lot of ways, I consider QAnon a considerably more dangerous threat than Antifa for the simple fact that it's organized. They meet on the internet, they get together in person, they discuss their ideology, they make plans, and they act upon them. They haven't done anything too extreme yet, but they're a ticking timebomb of crazy just waiting to explode.

And what does Antifa do? It's a bunch of college kids smoking bowls in their dorms, saying stuff like "hey, I like that whole BLM thing, you know? Let's go set some cop cars on fire to show our support." It's not an organized movement. It lacks centralized leadership, making it incapable of pulling off anything on a widespread scale. It's just random people doing random property damage, then going home.