How divided is the city/town/quaint hamlet where you live?

Chew Toy McCoy

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
I live in San Jose at the southern end of Silicon Valley so I can safely say I’m almost entirely surrounded by liberals and progressives. I’ve seen some republicans and Trump supporters but nothing that would be considered an alarming level. What’s it like where you are?

lizkat

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
Catskill Mountains
I'm going to reference the percentage of presidential votes from the 2016 election in Delaware County (NY).
My mostly rural county.......60-30-10 Trump-Clinton-Other​
My very rural township.......64-31-05 Trump-Clinton-Other​
My rural precinct.................52-38-09 Trump-Clinton-Other​

The bottom line there is the county is red, the township is redder but the precinct encompasses a village and an unincorporated hamlet where some artists, writers and assorted NYC expatriates keep settling, making that precinct lean definitely more towards purple in the past 20 years.

So do we talk politics in my immediate neighborhood? Uh, "not lately".

Reactions: Alli

ronntaylor

Aug 16, 2020
New York, NY
I live in Queens, NY (Queens County). HC beat the Mango Turd by 3-to-1. Can't remember the spread in my electoral district, but it was close to the same as Queens County. But we have a lot of immigrants that can't vote that are ardent supporters, and I saw several GOP voters that are Chinese-, Korean-, Indian-American, Latino, and many vocal Russian-Americans. I don't recall any Back GOP voters in the dozen or so elections I worked as a poll worker (three times manning a table where you have to ask for a party ballot during primaries).

My next door neighbors on the left, one of the few (only?) remaining white families on the block, are Republicans and I'm sure they're 45-supporters even though several of them are/were union members (they were very vocal about Republican efforts to call a state constitutional convention that was seen as an attempt to harm union pensions and protections).

• Sad
Reactions: lizkat and Alli