Moderation Here?

Huntn

Power User
Aug 11, 2020
I’m curious if you have included a statement on what kind moderation if any you intend to enforce. Not meant to put you on the spot, just curious, and not leading or implying any desire on my part. Are we in the jungle? ;)

I realize this issue maybe moderated by who you invite, and if unknown Shit Head strangers will be able to join. <- a test of automated site censoring. :)

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
Fair question, I can assure you that if/when we grow that the rules here will be quite a bit looser than what you may be used to at other sites. Not exactly the wild wild west but the intention is to let people be who they are, not scrutinize every move or force anyone into a rigid system of reporting posts. If things get out of hand, we'll handle them, otherwise we're all equals here so let's have some fun. :)

Any other feedback on this topic is welcome as well. I'll sticky this post.

Huntn

Power User
Aug 11, 2020
I’ve noticed at another site most of us are familiar with, name calling is inconsistently moderate and this is not my desire to push policy, just an observation. Although Facebook at times moderates, it feels more IIke the jungle to me, including vicious comments. I steer clear of Facebook politics for the most part because I don’t want to be dragged down.

Some examples of which some are moderated Somewhere Else. :)
  • minion
  • Trumpet
  • idiot
  • ignorant
  • Fool

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
I’ve noticed at another site most of us are familiar with, name calling is inconsistently moderate and this is not my desire to push policy, just an observation. Although Facebook at times moderates, it feels more IIke the jungle to me, including vicious comments. I steer clear of Facebook politics for the most part because I don’t want to be dragged down.

• minion
  • Trumpet
  • idiot
  • ignorant
  • Fool
Well, you can see my FB page from the home page here and I can honestly say that I've only banned a handful of users over there in all the years I've had it and I've been called every name you can imagine. Of course this is a much more structured environment so we won't let it get that crazy but if things get really insulting we can address for those it bothers. I just won't come up with a whole set of rules, I never did on any of the other boards I've administered or moderated.

At one point in time way back when I ran a political site with over a half million posts on this same domain, after the elections I let it die off but I can assure you it was a shit show at times, though we always managed okay with it. :)

Reactions: Huntn

Alli

Staff member
Aug 11, 2020

• minion
  • Trumpet
  • idiot
  • ignorant
  • Fool
Hardly worth worrying about those words. I wouldn’t worry until someone says something along the lines of “you are such a f***ing moron.” ;)

Yoused

Power User
Aug 14, 2020
On one site I frequent, they have one specific section devoted to insults and name calling, including celebrities, that one guy who runs the QuickShop down on 4th and Benson in this here town, my Aunt Karen, as well as other posters. It allows people to let off steam while being constrained to reasonably courteous behavior in the rest of the boards, which helps, I think. It might be called, say, "The Ventilator Shaft", where poster go to vent.

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
On one site I frequent, they have one specific section devoted to insults and name calling, including celebrities, that one guy who runs the QuickShop down on 4th and Benson in this here town, my Aunt Karen, as well as other posters. It allows people to let off steam while being constrained to reasonably courteous behavior in the rest of the boards, which helps, I think. It might be called, say, "The Ventilator Shaft", where poster go to vent.
On another board I had something similar setup, let's see how things play out and if there's a ton of ranting, we'll get it added. Good call out.

Alli

Staff member
Aug 11, 2020
Actually, I love it!

Chew Toy McCoy

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
Similarly, how about a drunk post safe space? You know, for when you try to shoehorn in a post that you think is brilliant and in the perfect sub forum, but upon sober reexamination, not so much. Bonus, the mods can move a clearly unhinged thread to the drunk safe space forum. It would be like a wasteland sub forum but one you would actually want to checkout.

Alli

Staff member
Aug 11, 2020
Reactions: ericgtr12

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
Okay, @You and @Chew Toy McCoy I am going to be creating a forum called Arkham Asylum soon. We'll use this for all those things, shouting, rants, drunk posting, a dump, etc. It will only be visible to registered members and a minimum of 5 posts will be needed before anyone can post in there. I'm working out this logic so when we see the forum that will be active. Sound good?

@Alli great idea, we'll get that added as well!

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
Okay @Alli the pet forum is also up. With that and all the other changes today let's see how things grow!

Reactions: Alli

lizkat

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
Catskill Mountains
I flashed back to my city apartment in which the living room faced onto a courtyard with amazing echo-chamber acoustics: "Pritchard, turn that fucking stereo down!!!!" was how I knew it was 11:01pm every night that I happened to be home at that hour. Always wondered whether Pritchard (who usually shouted back various obscenities but did then turn it down, as there was a tenancy law related to excessive noise between 11pm and 7am) ever actually met his clearly obsessive "minder". I always feared I'd be yelled at for playing the piano or some other instrument late at night and usually stopped earlier so as not to compete with Pritchard for the minder's attentions.

Anyway a ventilator shaft would be an interesting board. I'd probaby visit it when triggered by a visit to a third website in a row that offers up my pet peeves in the way of user annoyances and inconveniences (you know, stuff like a 3/4 page overlay asking if you'd like to sign up for a particular email briefing and you have to x it closed... only to be asked if you'd like to sign up for a different email briefing when you click on a sidebar link to some piece in another section of the same site). HEAR ME RANT! I'd take that to a ventilator shaft type of board, definitely.