White privilege being a thing of the past, Trump ends racial diversity training and attacks 1619 Project

Thomas Veil

Staff member
Aug 13, 2020
Trump moves to cancel ‘divisive’ racial diversity training programs at White House

U.S. President Donald Trump is seeking to stop federal funding for certain racial diversity training programs at the White House, which a memo calls “divisive, anti-American propaganda.”

The memo from Office of Management and Budget director Russell Vought alleges employees have been required to attend training sessions “where they are told that ‘virtually all white people contribute to racism’ or where they are required to say that they ‘benefit from racism,'” citing unnamed media reports.
In the memo released Friday, Vought directs all federal agencies to identify any contracts or other spending for training on “critical race theory,” “white privilege” and other “propaganda” that “teaches or suggests … that the United States is an inherently racist or evil country” or that “any race or ethnicity is inherently racist or evil.”

“The divisive, false and demeaning propaganda of the critical race theory movement is contrary to all we stand for as Americans and should have no place in the federal government,” the memo reads.

The memo says the president has directed Vought to cease and desist any taxpayer dollars towards the programs.
Well, thank goodness. Now everybody in Kenosha and Portland can go home. The problem's solved.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Alli and PearsonX

SuperMatt

Site Champ
Aug 11, 2020
Read this story today in complete disbelief.
I believe it 100%. Trump has never moved past trying to please his “base” - this is the type of culture-war baloney they LOVE to key in on. Just browse the homepage of Fox News. It’s a constant stream of grievances about what the “left” is doing to spread hatred of America.

Reactions: Thomas Veil

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Aug 10, 2020
This is how they think, when it comes to those who defend racism to white supremacists they call YOU a bigot and divisive, it's just baffling how they turn that around.

Reactions: Renzatic

Thomas Veil

Staff member
Aug 13, 2020
Authoritarian leaders cannot let their subjects see them as imperfect. And since they see the country they run as an extension of themselves, they cannot afford for it to be seen as less than perfect either.

Trump says Department of Education will investigate use of 1619 Project in schools

In a Sunday morning tweet, the President said the US Department of Education would investigate whether California schools are using the New York Times' "1619 Project" in public school curriculum. The Pulitzer-Prize winning collection reframes American history around the date of August 1619, when the first slave ship arrived on America's shores.
...The 1619 Project was launched by the New York Times Magazine last year. After the launch, the Pulitzer Center was named an education partner for the project and announced its education team would develop educational resources and curricula for teachers to use. The 1619 Project curriculum is available online for free through the center.
...The moves follow a pattern by the President of disparaging attempts to process or reckon with the country's fraught racial history. In his convention acceptance speech, the President said "Americans are exhausted, trying to keep up with the latest lists of approved words and phrases, and the ever more restrictive political decrees. Many things have a different name now, and the rules are constantly changing."
History is written by the winners, they say. Under Trump it is being rewritten by the former losers, now temporarily the winners. Another reason we need to have Trump and his racist followers become the losers again in November.

Topic title amended to add 1619 Project

Reactions: Citizenzen and Alli

lizkat

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
Catskill Mountains
Authoritarian leaders cannot let their subjects see them as imperfect. And since they see the country they run as an extension of themselves, they cannot afford for it to be seen as less than perfect either.

Trump says Department of Education will investigate use of 1619 Project in schools

History is written by the winners, they say. Under Trump it is being rewritten by the former losers, now temporarily the winners. Another reason we need to have Trump and his racist followers become the losers again in November.

Topic title amended to add 1619 Project
An official autocracy is where we're headed if we don't manage to dislodge Trump at the polls.

• Angry
Reactions: SuperMatt and Alli

Chew Toy McCoy

Site Champ
Aug 15, 2020
I see this as a non issue. 70% of our education system has already been replaced by the internet and social media. The sooner people and our education system realizes that, the better. Thinking school has a bigger impact still is almost comical. Are people still walking 4 miles in the snow uphill both ways to and from school?

I know Alli is a teacher, and I was raised by 2 teachers, but I think this kind of posturing to control information in our failing school system in modern times is kind of ridiculous. History was never my thing until much later in my life and I couldn't tell you what we were told about slavery in the late 80's and I don't even remember this Hitler fella being mentioned, but if I had access to the later documentaries channels on cable and later the internet I might have been more interested. Might. Education in general needs a radical overhaul beyond the free babysitting service it has become.

Reactions: SuperMatt

Alli

Staff member
Aug 11, 2020
I see this as a non issue. 70% of our education system has already been replaced by the internet and social media. The sooner people and our education system realizes that, the better. Thinking school has a bigger impact still is almost comical. Are people still walking 4 miles in the snow uphill both ways to and from school?

I know Alli is a teacher, and I was raised by 2 teachers, but I think this kind of posturing to control information in our failing school system in modern times is kind of ridiculous. History was never my thing until much later in my life and I couldn't tell you what we were told about slavery in the late 80's and I don't even remember this Hitler fella being mentioned, but if I had access to the later documentaries channels on cable and later the internet I might have been more interested. Might. Education in general needs a radical overhaul beyond the free babysitting service it has become.
I can’t argue with any of that. You are absolutely right.

Reactions: SuperMatt

Thomas Veil

Staff member
Aug 13, 2020
How hard can it be to teach history? I mean, it is a fucking story. Kids love stories.
That, my friend, is a very interesting observation.

As a student I was frankly often bored with history. This civilization went to war with that civilization. This person did this, and that person did that. History books were too often dry factual reading which didn’t (at least for me) make the people in them come to life, or tell you why you should care.

I think I’ve learned as much about history from movies as I did from books (providing I vet the movies for the parts they are making up). This is why you always hear about the history teacher who dresses up as historical figures. They’re making it come to life. They’re telling a story, not reciting dry historical facts.

Reactions: Alli and SuperMatt

JayMysteri0

Site Champ
Aug 18, 2020
None of this should be seen as a surprise, Texas has long shown the way some in this country would like to go.

But while the homework assignment may have been an isolated event, students at Great Hearts charter schools have been using a textbook that wildly mischaracterizes slavery for roughly a decade. Quartz found that Prentice Hall Classics: A History of the United States, published by the Pearson, includes this description of slavery (emphasis added):
But the “peculiar institution,” as Southerners came to call it, like all human institutions should not be oversimplified. While there were cruel masters who maimed or even killed their slaves (although killing and maiming were against the law in every state), there were also kind and generous owners. The institution was as complex as the people involved. Though most slaves were whipped at some point in their lives, a few never felt the lash. Nor did all slaves work in the fields. Some were house servants or skilled artisans. Many may not have even been terribly unhappy with their lot, for they knew no other.
When some become uncomfortable with one's past, some choose to rewrite that past for their own personal comfort.

Reactions: Alli

SuperMatt

Site Champ
Aug 11, 2020
None of this should be seen as a surprise, Texas has long shown the way some in this country would like to go.

When some become uncomfortable with one's past, some choose to rewrite that past for their own personal comfort.
Teaching about the Holocaust doesn’t seem to be happening much either:

I have a friend whose teacher brought Holocaust survivors to the school in the 80s so the students could meet them and see the tattooed numbers on them. That really brought it home. I realize that’s no longer possible, but it’s sad to see revisionist history being taught instead.

Reactions: Alli